Charles Martin Beats Corbin By Disqualification Over Low Blows

By Keith Idec

ARLINGTON, Texas – Gregory Corbin went below Charles Martin’s belt one too many times Saturday night.

By the eighth round, referee Mark Calo-oy had seen Corbin landed entirely too many low blows against the former IBF heavyweight champion. Calo-Oy disqualified Corbin 53 seconds into the eighth round of a scheduled 10-rounder on the Errol Spence Jr.-Mikey Garcia undercard at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium.

The 32-year-old Martin, of Carson, California, improved to 26-2-1. The 38-year-old Corbin lost for the first time as a pro (15-1, 9 KOs, 1 NC).

charles-martin (2)_1

Dallas’ Corbin had hoped to upset Martin on this big stage, near his hometown. Corbin entered their scheduled 10-rounder unbeaten, but he hadn’t fought anyone as experienced or accomplished as Martin.

Nothing Corbin had experienced in club fights since June 2012 prepared him for what he encountered in the strong southpaw who had knocked out 83 percent of his opponents. Martin was just the third opponent Corbin has fought that owned a winning record.

Martin fought for the first time since Adam Kownacki beat him by unanimous decision in an entertaining, back-and-forth fight September 8 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

By the seventh round, Martin had taken command of a fight in which Corbin had some success early.

Corbin drilled Martin with a blatant low blow that caused a break in the action with 50 seconds to go in the sixth round. Calo-oy had deducted a point apiece from Corbin for low blows in each of the previous two rounds.

Calo-oy deducted a point from Corbin for low blows late in the fifth round. That marked the second straight round Corbin was penalized for those types of fouls.

Martin had a strong fifth round, particularly by landing his straight left hand, prior to the point deduction.

Corbin moved Martin into a neutral corner early in the fourth round. Martin held and eventually was warned by Calo-oy for using his forearm to fend off Corbin.

It was Corbin, however, that lost a point later in the fourth round for hitting Martin low. By then, Martin bled from a cut over his left eye and was having difficulty defending Corbin’s right hand and body shots.

Martin did land a straight left hand that stopped Corbin in his tracks toward the end of the fourth round.

Martin and Corbin each landed hard power shots during multiple exchanges in the final minute of the third round.

Corbin connected with a solid right uppercut 30 seconds into the second round, a shot that made Martin retreat. Martin later caught Corbin with a straight left hand that backed him into the ropes.

Martin backed up Corbin with a left hand and then a right hand during the second half of the first round.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.